March 11, 2010

Individuality

You would think that after being a mother for several years, I would understand and appreciate that each one of my five children are unique individuals. I forget that sometimes, well maybe often is more accurate, and yesterday was one of those times!

I had lots I wanted to accomplish for the day. I had schedules and plans and things on my To Do List!! As is so typical with children, that all went out the door, which in turn caused me to get uptight because my plans were being altered. :-) When I feel like that it seems that my children's quirks and unique personality traits rub me the wrong way and I don't react very kindly or embrace them the way that I should.

Turns out my dear, sweet son Brendan had cracked his tooth in half, which caused his one and only filling to come out and left a huge hole! So...an emergency trip to the dentist we took and come to find out he has an infection (did I mention he did this over a month ago and never said anything to us?!?!), was put on antibiotics, has to go back next week to have tooth extracted, then goes back the week after that to have TWO MORE cavities filled! Geesh! And God love his little personality...he tells the dentist how boring brushing is and how he enjoys flossing much more because it's not boring and quick. He also shared with the dentist how he savors popcorn kernels, likes to chew on them apparently...hence the broken tooth, which by the way the dentist said is nearly impossible to split perfectly in half the way he did. That's my boy!

Once we got home and I got over myself (and my agenda) I started thinking about the awesome gifts God has given me in these five children. I was reminded that it is my job to nurture and encourage them, quirks and all. God has made them, has known them before they were even born and loves them more than I do. He already knows what they will become and He knows the paths they will travel. So I sat back and watched them all for awhile and absorbed the fact that God has placed five unique human beings in my care and I need to understand and appreciate that.

Jaylon loves music and dancing...he can do a mean Moon Walk. He is a great cook and loves to learn new recipes. He is good at making his little sisters laugh. His flatulence can clear a room in a heartbeat and he thinks its hysterical. His favorite thing is riding - a bike, scooter, or skateboard - anything he can do crazy/daredevil tricks on! He taught himself the Rubix Cube by watching it on You Tube, he is just that determined. He wants to be a neurosurgeon when he grows up. He has no fear and confirmed this for me when he started doing back flips from a standing position. He loved watching Shaun White in the Olympics...I'm sure you can guess why.

Brendan loves to build. He will spend hours "designing" something. Once he drew up plans to build his own house on the side yard of our house. He planted a garden this year and was very thorough about caring for it and picking the fresh veggies for us. If he had his way, he would go to work with his Daddy every single day. He wants to be an engineer when he grows up. He has a very sensitive heart and is full of emotion. He loves to pray out loud (didn't get that from me), he still asks to be tucked in every night and he loves to play army and build forts with his little sisters.

Gracie can play by herself for hours. This girl will use whatever is around for her make-believe worlds. She especially likes Little People and Polly Pockets. She plays with Matchbox cars and likes to line them all up (park them) over and over again. I constantly hear her talking while she plays...her people/characters talking really. She loves to draw, another thing she can sit for long periods of time and do. She wants to be an artist and a mommy when she grows up. She can't stand it when Aaron gets fussy and if he is crying, oh no, she really can't handle that!

Emmie, the fire cracker of the bunch! She loves make-up and lipstick and doing hair and pretty clothes, especially skirts/dresses that twirl. She is constantly singing and dancing. We are constantly being asked to sit down and watch her shows. She comes in our bed every single night (my poor husband doesn't sleep very well). She doesn't want to miss a beat with her older siblings. She likes to do art, especially paint. She adores her older siblings and will do anything they are doing - she particularly likes to dig and build with Brendan in the dirt. And she is a great soldier in his army games, very obedient.

And sweet baby Aaron, well he is still very young, but he is observant and content. He is not fussy and smiles a lot. His eyes light up when he sees any of his brothers or sisters. He loves to give high five ( or "pow pow" as we call it). He is a cuddle-bug and wants nothing to do with any type of baby food. So far, he is strictly a "nunnies" boy!

I know this post was very long, but these were things I wanted to record for each of these unique individuals that I am blessed to have as my children. I forget too much and wanted to remember these things.

No comments: