July 16, 2010

Parenting: No Easy Task

Sometimes I daydream and think about how much easier it would be to be a lazy parent, just let my kids do and say whatever. Sit on my couch eating Bon Bons watching the soaps while the kids just run a muck. Is that bad to admit?

I don't know if it's the disgusting heat, or the fact that we're moving, or my lack of sleep, but this has been a rough week. I feel like lining them all up and screaming, "Can't we all just get along!?!"

I had this epiphany about how much work good....quality.... Christ-centered parenting really is. It is exhausting sometimes - trying to instill in them a love for the Lord, teach them how to pray, model for them the importance of Bible study and quiet time with God, encourage them to have a servant's heart/attitude, be kind to each other, have patience with each other, not gossip, extend grace where it is needed, honor and obey Jay and I...the list goes on and on.

Then factor in the enemy and the intense battle that is raging for the hearts of my children and it really overwhelms me. The Internet, TV shows, commercials, movies, song lyrics, other children, magazines, people in public places, books...that list goes on and on too.

So what can I do but turn to the Father for help? Trust that He is protecting my children and remember that He loves them more than I do. Know that I'm not perfect and will make mistakes, but God's grace is enough. And understand that each of my children is a sinner just like me. They have free will, just like I do.

But I find hope and encouragement in what God's Word tells me:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 22:6

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17

Thankfully I'm not on my own when it comes to parenting! Now that's a relief.

No comments: