April 29, 2010

An epiphany...

I had this epiphany last night in church. Now you may read this post and think, how is this an epiphany, but to me it was because this truly has never dawned on me before (as horrible as that may sound!).

What I realized as I sat there next to Brendan, who was in between Jay and I, is that the Holy Spirit works in the lives of my children. The Holy Spirit brings them convictions too, not just me. The Holy Spirit speaks to their young little hearts and guides them in the very same way the Holy Spirit does that for me.

You may be thinking, well, duh...but this really never resonated in my brain the way it did last night.

This moment came as I watched Brendan pull out an info/prayer card from the pew, pick up the pencil and begin to write something. He was writing a prayer request. He wouldn't let either Jay or I see it. When the offering plate came around he slipped his card in. In my attempt to sneak a peak, I saw the words strength and wisdom...how I wish I had seen more! But that was when it hit me...Brendan is his own person with his own personal relationship with God and the Holy Spirit is working in him.

And a feeling of relief swept over me because I realized that God's got my back in this parenting adventure. God loves Brendan, and all my children, more than I do. He wants their hearts and a personal relationship with each of them. So it was such a relief for me to have this ah-ha moment and realize that God is working in their lives and hearts just as much, if not more, than I am as I try to disciple and teach them and expand their understanding of God, the Bible and Christianity. What an encouraging epiphany it was!!

1 comment:

Hi, I'm Alysha -But you can call me Lysh said...

Aww kady, that is so beautiful!! I love being able to see God in my children's lives too. The other day a fire truck went blaring by us & my Ezekiel said "mom, we need to pray.." I LOVE it! Thank you Lord for being OUR God :)