April 16, 2010

How do you do it?

It's always interesting to me when I'm out in public with my children in tow and I get this question, "Oh my...five children, how do you do it? " It happens so often that you would think I'd be used to this question by now, but I'm not.

Sometimes I laugh it off, or ignore it. Sometimes I ramble on about what a helpful husband I have and that my mom helps us out a lot. Other times I give props to my older children for pitching in and being such assets to me. But lately it has really struck me that the most valid answer to that question is not any of these answers. God is my help and my asset - He is my all in all. How else could I possibly do it?

Don't get me wrong, my husband is wonderful (very hands-on), my mom does help us out A LOT and the older kids are always pitching in...but it is by the Grace of God that I make it through each day and my children live to tell about it. :-)

I read 1Peter 3:15 today and it jumped off the page because it says, "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

How do I do it with five kids? By the grace of God. How can I homeschool and be around my children 24/7? With God's help. How did I get through Aaron's rocky beginning? Leaning on the Lord every step of the way. How have Jay and I stayed married for ten years? With God as our Wonderful Counselor.

There is a song by Natalie Grant that I just love...one of those songs I turn up really loud and sing along to (my kids think I'm nuts!). These are the words and I find myself thinking of them so much anytime I begin to struggle with things:

"There is hope when my faith runs out, I'm in better hands now. I am strong all because of You. I stand in awe of every mountain that You move. Oh, I am changed, yesterday is gone. I am safe from this moment on. So take this heart of mine there's no doubt. I'm in better hands now."

So how do I do it? Well...I'm in good hands.

No comments: