April 11, 2011

No Ordinary Day

Today seemed like it was going to be uneventful; just an ordinary day.  I was wrong. 

It was one of those days as a mother that pushed me to my limits and tested me over and over again. 

It was one of those rare days where there was an issue with every child ~ one pouting about chores, one whining about not getting her way, another arguing about every darn thing and yet another challenging me on every rule in place, and who can forget the toddler that is approaching two.  And this was all within the first two hours...these types of things just kept happening...all...day...long.

My patience was tested.

My nerves were fried.

My buttons were pushed.

Yet as I sit here in the late night hours with a completely quiet house and reflect on this challenging day, I am thankful.  I survived.  We made it through.  All children are still living.  And I love being a mommy, bottom line.

I didn't handle things perfectly.  I lost my temper.  I was insensitive.  I argued back.  I was unfair.  I ignored and withheld eye contact. 

But I know tomorrow is a new day; a fresh start.  And for that I am thankful because all seven of us living under this roof need a fresh start each morning.  So I go to bed knowing that I must wake up with a positive outlook and ready to extend grace to my children and to myself, regardless of how agitated I felt today or how frustrated I feel tonight.

For the sole reason that my God does this very same thing for me each and every morning. 

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
    Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments: