January 2, 2012

Desires for the New Year

As is so common in the beginning of a New Year, I have been reflecting on the past year and looking ahead to 2012.  Of course the typical "resolutions" popped into my mind ~ lose weight, stick to a budget, have more patience with my children, get more organized.  Then it hit me...no matter what I resolve to do, I will not be able to succeed on my own.

The most important goal I can set at the beginning of this New Year is to live each day in total dependence on God.  I must put Him as my number one priority.  I must look to Him as I strive to lose weight and get healthy, as I struggle to stick to our budget, as I attempt to parent with more grace and patience, and as I try to keep myself more organized.

The best way for me to be purposeful about living dependently on Him is to start each day alone with Him and in His Word.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Psalm 119:105

I can't see very well in the dark.

To wake up before the kids, sit down with my coffee, my Bible and my journal and spend time with Him in His Word.  Not just stumble out of bed and read a quick little devotional, but actually set aside a chunk of time and dive into the Word of God - the Bible. 

After all, it is a relationship that I am to have with God and how can I maintain a relationship with someone whom I never spend time with?  Or who I spend time with sporadically?  And how else will I be able to draw closer to Him and hear from Him if I am not immersing myself in His Word? 

And now I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified.     Acts 20:32

...the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe. 1 Thessalonians 2:13

The only way I am going to grow spiritually and become more like Christ is if I am saturating myself in the Word of God.  The only way I will be able to live dependently on Him in all areas of my life is if I am familiar with the truths found in the Bible.  The only way for me to ensure that He is the number one priority in my life is to start each day with Him, as well as go through each day mindful of what His Son did for me on the Cross and the grace that He has shown me. 

...like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation...         1 Peter 2:2

My desire is to crave the Word like a baby craves milk; to seek the truth in God's Word alone.  I want to be in the Word and allow God to work in my life through His Word.

I know I will not do this perfectly.  I will have days that I don't wake up early enough, or don't feel like it, or those lovely days where I'm focused and in the Word before the kids get up and then as soon as they come downstairs it's as if I've forgotten everything I've read and meditated on that morning. 

And it is at these times that I can remind myself of Romans 8:1 ~ Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  I am never going to be perfect this side of heaven, so I can stop trying to be and stop beating myself up when I fall short.

And so I share these things here so that those close to me might hold me accountable and also that maybe it will challenge or encourage you in this area as well.

Happy New Year!

No comments: