January 17, 2012

The B-I-B-L-E

My girls came home recently and had been encouraged to memorize the books of the Bible for Sunday school.  We got right to work learning the catchy little songs and even the boys joined in.  I vaguely recall learning those songs as a child in Sunday school.  But what struck me was how clueless I had become as an adult when it came to the Bible. 

I certainly didn't know the books of the Bible by heart.  No wonder it had always been a challenge for me to look something up.  I either flipped around a lot until I found what I was looking for, or better yet, would go right to the Table of Contents for help.  Ultimately what I realized was that I didn't know the Bible because I rarely, if ever, used to read the Bible.  I never even took my Bible to church with me and on the rare occasion that I did, I used it as something to press on as I filled in the pastor's outline.  As I continued to learn the songs with my kids, I found myself reflecting more and more on these sad realities.

About four and a half years ago I joined a woman's Bible study.  We met each week and we studied the book of Matthew.  I remember wondering how on earth we were going to spend nine months studying one book!  As I look back now, that was the turning point for me.  Opening up the Word of God, studying it in depth, memorizing it, discussing it within a group, but most importantly the format was such that I was to be in the Word every day of the week.  This is where the Lord began to work mightily in my heart.

Then about a year and a half ago we came to a new church.  The two previous churches we had attended left both of us longing for something more.  We weren't sure what, but both of us had that sense of something missing.  From the very first Sunday at this new church our world was rocked.  Never in our lives had either of us heard the exposition of Scripture in that way.  We had never studied it that way or applied it to our lives the way the pastor did.  Everything centered on the Word of God.  And to our amazement everyone in attendance brought their Bibles with them each week...and actually opened them up as the pastor taught.  What a concept.

Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts.
                                                                                 Colossians 3:16

As we continued to attend and get connected, we were challenged to examine our lives and ask ourselves ~ Did Scripture permeate every aspect of our lives?

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.                                                              Hebrews 4:12

So as I have reflected back on all of these events, the Lord has reminded me how crucial the Word of God is. It must rule in my life. Everything I need is in the Bible and through His Word, He will equip me for anything that life may bring. It is how I have grown, and will continue to grow, spiritually.

...you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.                                    1 Thessalonians 2:13

So how can those of us who believe and call ourselves Christians grow and experience the working of God in our hearts and lives without being in the Word consistently?  I am reminded how crucial it is to open up the Word of God, read it, study it, meditate on it, memorize it, talk about it and journal through it.  And my prayer is that it will saturate my thoughts and words and actions. 

God has provided everything we need in His Word and sadly, there are so many that neglect It.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So true!! Love seeing what God has done & is doing in your life!!!! It's so awesome when Jesus takes hold of our heart!! You're an amazing mother, wife & friend!!