October 31, 2010

Balancing Act

I was feeling particularly frustrated the other night by my inability to complete the tasks that needed to be done. I was lying in bed thinking about the dirty clothes piled up in my closet, the stack of unopened mail on the kitchen counter, the pile of clean clothes on the floor of my room needing to be put away, the messy rooms of my children, my empty pantry/refrigerator, the ever-present "piles" on my desk ~ and these were just the domestic tasks that were hanging over my head.

I was feeling weighed down and anxious.

The next wave of thoughts that swept over me pertained to homeschooling ~ we hadn't finished the science reading for the week, I really should have them memorize more scripture verses, the boys were behind on their math lessons, Gracie hadn't practiced her sight words enough, I needed to spend more time on devotions with the kids, maybe the neighbor kids were smarter than my kids and better off for being in school.

Why do my thoughts always tend to go towards things that are wrong? Why do I allow myself to feel like a failure? All I could think about was how can I better pull off this balancing act in my life?

I was very encouraged by a devotional I read not long after about practicing the Presence of God rather than the presence of problems. It was such a great reminder that I cannot maintain the balancing act of life on my own. I am not able to accomplish anything apart from God. He is the One who gets me through. I can go to Him when I am feeling overwhelmed by failure or problems or exhaustion.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Prayerfully, I can rely on God to transform my thoughts and change my perspective.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way." Psalm 139:23-24

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:16

"Delight yourselves in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4

No comments: