November 15, 2010

At a Loss for Words

I was standing at the kitchen sink doing dishes. Jay was working, as he had been for several days in a row, which was wearing thin on us all. There was tension among the kids and my stress level was high. The boys were bickering while working on a writing assignment (did I mention it was Sunday and they were ticked?). Gracie was crying because she didn't get her way. Emmie was pouting because Gracie wouldn't play with her. And then Aaron started crying because he wanted me to pick him up.

I felt like I wanted to join Aaron and just have a good cry. Then I wanted to scream at all my children to shut up (awful to admit I know, but the honest truth). Next I contemplated going into my room and locking the door.

I tried to feel patient. I tried to be understanding. I wanted to come up with some sound wisdom to get my boys to stop arguing and have a better attitude. I was hoping to think of something to say that would make the girls feel better and get them playing harmoniously together.

I had nothin'. I was at a loss for words.

All I had the energy to do was say, "Help me God!"

And as it turned out, that was all I needed to say. I am so thankful that He knows what I need even when I can't even find the words to ask. I can't imagine parenting without Him.

1 comment:

Hi, I'm Alysha -But you can call me Lysh said...

:) Love it ♥...I think I have these days all to often & am so thankful that I have someone to turn to. Whew! I don't know how parents who don't know the Lord do it..& I'm glad :D