September 14, 2010

A Thankful Heart

Today marks one month exactly since we moved into our new place. I'd like to say that everything is unpacked, in order and in place, but that wouldn't be entirely true. For the most part yes, but it's those last few boxes of random stuff that are driving me nuts. It's the stuff that needs to be hung on our walls. It's the stuff scattered all over the garage that needs to be organized. But we'll get to all that when we can. For now I am just so thankful.

Of course it's easy to be thankful now...looking back.

I wish I could say my attitude was seeping with gratitude the entire time. My mind, left to itself, is negative, critical and pessimistic. I'm just a big whiner like my preschooler, really. I wasn't sure I could handle the emotions of losing our house, let alone the stress of moving, without having a nervous breakdown.

But I love what Romans 8:6 says, "The mind of sinful man is death; but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace."

So day...after day...after repetitive, exhausting, stressful day, I begged the Holy Spirit to be with me and control my mind. That changed things. There is an unexplainable peace in the midst of chaos and the unknown. And once that reality penetrated my thick, stubborn brain it became clear to me that I must do what it says in Psalm 37:4-5. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this."

Was it easy - no.

Did I get side tracked and frustrated - yes.

But it was what got me through. And here we are in a beautiful home (basically brand new on the inside thanks to the landlord), in a cul-de-sac with other children to play with where our furniture fits perfectly and we have amenities that we didn't have at our old house.

It's been a rough couple of years, but it is amazing to be able to look back and see the many ways God provided. I remember learning in Bible study last year about the meaning of Jehovah Jireh: the Lord will provide. From where I sit right now, that is an understatement. We truly are blessed!

1 comment:

Hi, I'm Alysha -But you can call me Lysh said...

Sounds like things are falling right into place the way the Lord will have em'. Your right, it's not the easiest thing in the world to do~to give things over to Him..but isn't it totally cool to feel that peace that just floors you? I love it! :D