May 17, 2011

Weaknesses

We all have them ~ weaknesses.  Some are more identifiable than others.  Some do a fabulous job at hiding theirs.  But we all struggle with weaknesses.

It is so natural to want everyone to think we have it all together; for others to think we are strong.  It is easier to pretend like it's all good, rather than to be transparent and vulnerable by admitting weakness. 

We have thorns in our lives.  It would be ideal if God would remove them, but instead He makes available His grace.  I am a weakling; I've got thorns.  But thankfully I also have a God who extends His grace to me and in turn His grace can be evident in my life.

And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness."  Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  Therefore, I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.       2 Corinthians 12:9-10

I can't say that I boast about my weaknesses and feel content with insults and difficulties, but Paul sure does encourage me in these verses.  He reminds me to remain aware of my weaknesses and rely on God as I battle them.  Then, and only then, will I be able to experience His amazing grace and put His power on display.

No comments: