February 17, 2011

Thirty-six


It's funny how as you get older birthdays don't carry the same weight or excitement as they once did. Turning thirty-six today doesn't really feel like anything. Today was pretty much the same as most others, other than extra phone calls and texts for birthday wishes from those near and dear to me.


It started with a co-sleeping baby boy waking me up to nurse, at which point I realized that I still had a stuffy nose and sore throat from the bug I caught from my precious darlings. Then it progressed to a little girl begging for cereal. And then onto siblings arguing and provoking each other. Mixed in with the normal morning routine were lots of birthday wishes, kisses, hugs, beautiful cards and wonderful gifts. Then it was the usual rush to get out the door and be on time for Bible study.


The day is almost over and there were no balloons or streamers, no loud singing or big party - nothing like when I was 9 and spent days looking forward to the slumber party with my friends.


Today was much more than that.


To enjoy time with my husband who worked from home today so he could be here when I woke up. To treasure my children even though they may leave their clothes all over the floor. To comfort my fussy baby who is teething. To hear from family members whom I love and dear friends that mean so much to me.
This day, my thirty-sixth birthday, was a day to celebrate the life that God has given to me. What more could I ask for?

No comments: